Did you know that sometimes your weight loss can significantly improve with just a few simple diet changes? If you’re feeling like you’re making mostly good food choices, you’re exercising regularly and you’re struggling to get the scale to move right now, consider making a few small changes to your diet and you’ll likely see the number on the scale go down.
You’ve probably seen the books that tell you healthier food swaps. Well, sometimes those don’t apply to weight loss surgery patients. For example, they may tell you to swap a piece of white bread for a slice of whole wheat bread. Sure it has more nutritional value, but you’re not supposed to be eating bread on a regular basis, so that swap is certainly not a helpful one for you! So we decided to compile a list of food swaps that would be helpful for those of you that have had weight loss surgery. Of course, it would be helpful even for those who haven’t had surgery. Here is a list of easy, delicious swaps to make your diet healthier!
|Instead of…||Choose This…|
|Ice cream||· Blend frozen banana, ¼ cup skim milk and 1 tsp. cocoa powder in food processor.
· Stir and freeze your fat-free Greek yogurt cups for 45 minutes before eating.
|Potato Chips||· Raw veggies (for that nice crunch!)
· Kale Chips (Get bag of kale, de-stem and cut it into 3-inch pieces. Mix with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Spread on baking sheet, sprinkle with seasoning of choice and bake for 1 hour at 200°F, stirring once or twice.)
· Zucchini chips (Slice zucchini into 1/8” slices, place on baking sheet, sprinkle a little olive oil, salt and pepper on them and bake for 30 minutes at 275°F, flip them and bake for another 30 minutes until brown and crispy.)
|Smoothie/Snow Cone||· Freeze Crystal Light until it is slushy or put it in a blender with crushed ice.|
|Fried Chicken/Fish||· Dip your chicken or fish in egg or a low calorie sauce, then roll in crushed crackers, corn flakes or Shake n’ Bake and bake in the oven.|
|Bread||· Use lettuce leaf to wrap your deli meats, burgers and taco fillings|
|Hamburgers||· Turkey burger, veggie burger, portobello mushroom burger|
|Pizza||· Use zucchini slices as “crust”, then top with pizza sauce, sprinkle of reduced-fat cheese and other favorite toppings. For a guide on how to do this, visit http://www.hoab.org/news/hoab-healthy-potluck-more-recipes-2/.
· Use cauliflower pizza crust (various recipes online)
|Dessert||· Frozen Grapes
· Parfait made with low-fat vanilla yogurt, fresh berries and crushed graham crackers
· Chickpea Chocolate Dip: http://www.hoab.org/news/hoab-healthy-potluck-did-someone-say-chocolate/
· Greek Yogurt Hot Chocolate Pudding: http://www.hoab.org/news/greek-yogurt-hot-chocolate-pudding/
· Frozen Banana Pops: http://www.hoab.org/news/frozen-banana-popsicles/
|Milk Chocolate||· Dark Chocolate – choose at least 70% cocoa (a little less sugar, more antioxidants and it will take a smaller portion to satisfy the craving!)|
|Dairy Products||· Low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurts and cheeses
· Use fat-free sour cream or fat-free plain Greek yogurt(for a nice protein boost!) instead of sour cream
|Sugary Breakfast Cereals||· Steel Cut Oats or Old Fashioned Oats made with water or skim milk, sweetened with cinnamon, cocoa powder, stevia, etc.|