Grilled Whole Trout with Lemon-Tarragon Bean Salad
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon, plus 4 whole sprigs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 4 cleaned whole rainbow trout, (about 5 ounces each; see Shopping Tip)
- 12 thin slices of lemon, (1-2 lemons)
- Whisk chopped tarragon, lemon juice, oil, shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing; add beans and peppers to the rest and toss to combine.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat a large fish-grilling basket with cooking spray. Stuff each trout with 3 slices lemon and 1 tarragon sprig. Sprinkle inside and out with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place in the basket.
- Grill the fish until the skin is golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Carefully remove the lemon and tarragon, drizzle the fish with the reserved dressing and serve with the bean salad.
TIPS & NOTES
- Shopping Tip: You can buy trout with the bones and heads removed (easier than cleaning them yourself); for this recipe, each cleaned trout should weigh about 5 ounces.
- Fish on foil: Fish that flakes easily requires a delicate touch to flip on the grill. If you want to skip turning it over when grilling, measure a piece of foil large enough to hold the fish and coat it with cooking spray. Grill the fish on the foil (without turning) until it flakes easily and reaches an internal temperature of 145Â°F.
Recipe makes 4 bariatric surgery-friendly servings.
Nutrition Per serving: 341 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein;5 g fiber; 654 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.