Here at HOAB, we are constantly telling you to eat less, cut back and eliminate certain things in your diet. Well, guess what?! There are actually some foods we want you to eat more of! While protein should always come first after having weight loss surgery, we would also like to see you eating more fruits and vegetables. I came across this list of the top 10 reasons why you should eat more fruits and vegetables and thought I’d share it with you (see here for original list).
10. Fruits and vegetables add color, texture and appeal to your plate. This makes your meals more interesting!
9. Convenience. They are ready when you are. Many can be eaten immediately (after you wash them!) or just need to some quick prep work to be ready.
8. Fruits and vegetables are full of fiber, which will help keep your digestive system a little happier. Many of you have found it can be difficult to keep your digestive system happy after weight loss surgery – one way to possibly help is by eating more fruits and vegetables.
7. Fruits and vegetables are naturally low in calories, which means they are waistline-friendly and can be incorporated into your regular diet without feeling any guilt.
6. By eating more fruits and veggies, you may be reducing your risk for certain diseases, such as heart disease, hypertension and cancer. Who wouldn’t want to reduce their risk for disease?!
5. Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins and minerals, so they help give your body what it needs to be healthy and for you to feel good.
4. There are lots of different fruits and vegetables to try. If you don’t like one, try another. You’re bound to find lots that you really like.
3. Fruits and veggies are easy to grab and go, so they are a quick, healthy part of a meal or on-the-go snack.
2. They are fun to eat! Some are crunchy, some are juicy, some can be easily grown in your own yard and eaten straight from the garden!
1. The bottom line is fruits and veggies are nutritious and delicious, so you should definitely work to incorporate more in your diet.